Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2008

New brew

For those that are following, I started a new batch of brew last weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. It's an IPA, here's the ingredients I used:

Organic pale barley malt extract
Briess Caramel 60 degL
Briess Caramel 20 degL
Weyermann Carahell malt
Organic New Zealand Pacific Gem hops - bittering 36 IBU
Organic New Zealand Pacific Gem hops - flavor 18 IBU
Organic New Zealand Hallertaur hops - aroma
Irish Moss

I used a White Labs 1968 London Ale yeast, which according to what I've read should be the best for bring out the hop flavor.

The process has gone pretty well so far. I'm about to finish my fermentation, I'll probably switch carboys tomorow. My friend Matt, had the smart idea to boil the wort on two burners, which really sped up the process. The color has come out considerably lighter than the stout, but much darker than I would have expected for an IPA. My one concern is that during the boil I lost a lot liquid. So the beer could end up being VERY high in alcohol content, it will be an interesting experiment. More to come...

No comments: