Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Port Brewing Wipeout IPA

This is the first beer I've had from Port Brewing that leaves a little something to be desired. That being said, it is still quite a good beer. A west coast style IPA with five varieties of hops: Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, Simcoe, and Summitt. Having just recently started a new home brew using 3 of these five, obviously, I'm pretty excited about them. Simcoe are some of my favorite hops, but I just don't taste enough of them coming through just a tail bit at the end, which I'll mention. The Centenniel and Cascade seem to be the predominant ones, although why they mix together cleanly, they don't leave quite as bright of a sensation as you might like from strong hops like these. It has a very even balance across the palette, finishing with nice bitters and just enough hint of citrus from the Simcoe to add a little complexity to the taste. The flavor overall has the darker tone to it making it a mellow drink. Strangest thing about this beer, no matter how I poured it, it has almost no head?!

Wipeout IPA: ***1/2

No comments: